KidsView  | The Adventist Review for kids and those who always will be kids at heart | November 2012

Our First Adventist Missionary to the South Pacific Islands

By Laurie Falvo

John Tay was born in 1832 in the United States. At the age of 16 he went to work at sea, taking with him two gifts from his mother—a Bible and a book about the mutiny of the Bounty, which sparked his lifelong fascination with Pitcairn Island.

Eventually Tay left life at sea, married a woman named Hannah, and built a house in Oakland, California. One day as he was walking, he heard the sound of singing coming from a large tent. Curious, he went inside and heard the Adventist message for the first time. What he heard changed the course of his life. He was baptized in 1873 and filled with a longing to share his newfound faith. 

By 1886 Tay’s health was deteriorating. His doctor told him that he must escape the polluted air of Oakland or he would most likely die. Tay decided it was time to take the Adventist message to Pitcairn. 

The First Missionary "Crew."

The Pitcairners had received Adventist literature 10 years before from J. N. Loughborough and James White. When Tay arrived, they were ready to accept the Sabbath. They asked him to baptize them, but Tay kindly refused, explaining that he was not ordained. He sailed to the United States, promising to return with an ordained clergyman.

When Tay reached California, he asked church leaders to get a missionary ship so the Adventist message could be shared throughout the South Pacific islands. Four years later he and Hannah sailed aboard the Pitcairn for Pitcairn Island with the promised minister aboard.  

The Tays stayed on Pitcairn for about three weeks and witnessed the baptisms of 82 islanders. Then they set sail aboard the Pitcairn to work among the cannibals of Fiji. But it would be Tay’s last journey. Within five weeks of arriving on Fiji he contracted influenza and died. 

Our First Mission Ship

The Pitcairn was built in 1890 with the first mission offerings ever collected in the Seventh-day Adventist Church. It took six months to raise the $12,000 needed to build the missionary ship.

Adventist children began a fund-raising campaign that included such tasks as doing laundry, yard work, and shining shoes. One boy helped his mother make popcorn over the family’s wood-burning stove to make hundreds of popcorn balls to raise $15 for the Pitcairn. 

M. C. Wilcox, who was present at the Pitcairn’s dedication, described the 90-foot schooner as being “made of the very best timber” and the workmanship being of “the best character.”